"Facelifting" nr: 2

Hi CristerT,

this is my first answer/input to this forum, I read-only for long time and learn a lot about skiking.

I tried to translate the most important parts. Please excuse the mistakes.

Since may 2008 a new release of of the Sike V07 is available.
      Some improved details:

- a colored more extensive multi-lingual operating instructions. Some good tips are included, but there are some mistakes, that have to be avoided.

- a new packing with nice fotos, which is a little bit smaler as before.

- the outer packing around the skikes is dropped.

- the brake caliper has got a reinforced construction. It is thicker and the lateral adjustment is minimized.

- the x-o-leg adjustment (bow leg/knock knies adjustment) has got a toothed lock washer to avoid sliping.

- mounting bolts of the belts are made of plastic instead of sharp-edged metal. Only for new skikes, not for spare parts.

-improved wheel bearings. They run smoother than the older ones and look like the Black-Rain bearings from powerslide. Only for new skikes, not for spare parts.

- the brake adjustment is smoother than before.

- the paintwork looks more regular, the colors are unchanged. The finish looks thinner and rawer at some places.

- the tread looks like the older one, but the wheel-rubber seems to be softer and tougher. The imprinted max. pressure increased from 6,3 to 7,0 bar.

This is the 3rd release of version7. Skike calls it a facelift, without increasing the version-number. The resale value of the older skikes are stable, new spare parts hold them state of the art.

Franky
      Tank?s a lot, Franky, for a more than excellent help.

Soon I have to come to an end in my struggle of choosing the manufacturer. I have looking around for some years now and
      so far only find GateSkate and V2 Jenex stuffs. And now as I can see it is about using my ordinary shoe (Skike) or a
      specially shoe (Powerline), and the brake capacity.
      With that I mean that you will have better braking power if you leaning backwords and have your weight over the brakeing wheel.

It is leaning more and more too the advantage for Skike. Most because they seams bee working good on ruff soil
      as gravelled roads where I think I spend most of the time. Gravelled roads, just because I will do the traning togheter whit my dog.

I need some advice about spare parts! Since the freight charge is an extra expense I find it more economic to order those spare parts,
      that you guys whit experience can recommend as a must have at home or with us during the ride, when ordering a par of Skike.

Tank?s again Franky!

and I hope there is someone more who can feed us (non speaking German people) with as they think important information.

Christer ? Schweden -
      Dear ChristerT,

first I have to say, that my experience is not so big. I start skiking 7 weeks ago.
      I called a skike instructor for a taster course and we made an appointment.
      The instructor shows me how to use the break and some basics. After that I could take some test-skikes, the poles and kneeprotectors with me, to find out if this is the right sport for me. I trained a lot to get more practice. Now I want to order my own skikes and visit a course.

I read a lot here in the forum, and I think with a little experience you could use the skikes on gravelled roads. (I used them only on asphalt cycle track.)

What spare parts you should order is a little bit difficult for me, because I have not the experience.

I think for the beginning you should have the skikes, two complete wheels, 2 tubes an a outer cover.

Klaus59 wrote about the things, he takes along on tour:
      -one ore two (depents on the tour length) complete spare wheels.
      - a wrench for the hub axle nut
      - a swiss army knife
      - a wrench for the valve
      - a peace of a rope
      - a mini tyre pump

In another thread Ben lists all the spare parts he needs:
      - some tubes
      - some outer covers
      - bearings for the wheels (Ball Bearing Set)
      - Ankle Joint Bearing Set
      - some tips for the poles.

Franky
      Hello Christer, hello Franzy,

I believe Ben's shopping-list is quite well.
      Along a tour your don't need a pump, because a change of a tire or a tube is not "very funny". One complete wheel and the Skike wrench in your belly bag and your can continue your tour in more than 80 % of all breakdowns. For a long tour, two wheels may be safer.

Franz

P.S.: I hope your can understand my bad english, I have no much experiance...
      P.S.: I hope your can understand my bad english, I have no much experiance...

An unnecessary comment about the language. I hope that everyone try to use EU-english.
      EU-english - for me -= I do my very best. It is better to spell something wrong and let others share my information instead of not share it because some letter is in the wrong place.

If you ask a lot, you will know a lot.

Hi Frank and tank?s for the info. As I can see it you are the face out towards potential buyers at The X-Skating Shop. I hope you don?t mind asking you some questions in this forum about buying Skikes. I have some reflections in my brain.

80 % of all breakdowns.
      These cther 20% of breakdowns, what do I need fix them?

You say say ?One complete wheel and the Skike wrench?? I can?t find the Skike wrench among the accessories. Neither can I find out if it is a part of the package.

If I need too order instance ?Brake Shoe set? ? 13.20, will the total cost then became ? 32.70?

Christer
      These other 15-20% of breakdowns could be results of an accident (f. e. the deformation of an important part) or damaged shoe belts or relaxed screws (and not the right tool in your bag) or a broken break saddle or calf frame. May be these beakdowns are more rarely than 20 %.
      Another probelm are broken poles or loosen pole ends, but in this case you can continue your tour.

Franz

A new epereince, this evening: The bearing of may back wheel locked nearly complete suddenly. The only way to continue my way, was to chance the wheel.
      You say say ?One complete wheel and the Skike wrench?? I can?t find the Skike wrench among the accessories. Neither can I find out if it is a part of the package.

To change a wheel you need a box wrench or an open-end wrench/spanner. I don't know the size at the moment. This tool is not part of the sets.

If I need too order instance ?Brake Shoe set? ? 13.20, will the total cost then became ? 32.70?

Now I understand why you would like to order the spare parts and the skikes at the same time ...
      Why is it so expensive to deliver something to sweden?